Supporting our Local Community
From 12th to 20th May, 2016 we are participating in the Rotary Club of Loddon Vale Cyclethon 2016. The objective is to raise £5,000 by cycling around 500 miles from Sonning to Hamburg.Your donations will be split between two very worthwhile charities: Launchpad and Camfed.
You can read more about the progress of the Cyclethon by reading our blog.
Launchpad – ‘Turning lives around’
Launchpad helps some of Reading’s most vulnerable and disadvantaged people to turn their lives around and fulfil their potential. They began by running a soup kitchen 35 years ago and were known as Reading Single Homeless Project until 2011. Today Launchpad Reading is based in bright premises in central Reading, where they provide accommodation, support, education and counselling to people in the town who need their help.
Mission: Launchpad Reading believe everyone in Reading deserves their own home and the opportunity to have a positive future.
People: A committed team of people lie at the heart of what Launchpad do, going above and beyond to make a difference where it matters.
Camfed – tackling poverty and promoting girls’ education in Africa
Camfed helps marginalised girls to go to school and succeed, empowering young women to step up as leaders of change. The charity supports girls in 5,270 government partner schools across 119 districts in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ghana, Tanzania and Malawi.
Their partner communities are among the most deprived in the region – far removed from hospitals, lacking public infrastructure, and often situated on the poorest land. They have the greatest levels of poverty within their countries, and suffer some of the highest rates of illness, including HIV/AIDS. They have extremely low literacy rates. Most people live a hand to mouth existence.
Schools in these communities are few in number, meaning children often have to walk very long distances to get to school, and have fewer teachers and less equipment. Girls are particularly vulnerable in these circumstances, and their education has the most transformative impact.
Sonning to Hamburg
- 12 May, Thursday, depart Sonning for North Weald, Essex
- 13 May, Friday, depart North Weald for Harwich (Berth on Ferry)
- 14 May, Saturday, depart Hook of Holland for Weesp (SE of Amsterdam)
- 15 May, Sunday, depart Weesp for Emmeloord
- 16 May, Monday, depart Emmeloord for Borgen
- 17 May, Tuesday, depart Borgen for Friesoyth
(We will meet up with the German cyclists on the Dutch/German border just after the town of Sellingen.)
- 18 May, Wednesday, depart Friesoyth for Ritterhude
- 19 May, Thursday, depart Ritterhude for Buxtehude
- 20 May, Friday, depart Buxtehude for Hamburg Haake
- Paul Banks, Launchpad Reading
- John Hammond, RCLV
- Jeremy Spurr, retired GP. Old friend of JH, who lived in Reading for some years.
- Cyclists from the Rotary Club of Hamburg Haake
The German riders from Hamburg Haake are making their own arrangements and will meet us at the town of Hasseberg on the German border, between the towns of Sellingen (Netherlands) and Dorpen (Germany)
- Bob Hyatt and Bill & Hillary Soane will be in the support vehicles.
How to support us
It’s simple! Just click on the Just Giving link here and press “Donate”.
Many thanks for supporting us.
Rotary Club of Loddon Vale